History

The School of Civil Engineering, University of Tehran started its activities in 1934, as one of the first four departments of the College of Engineering. This school as the oldest civil engineering school in Iran has a distinguished history and a tradition of excellence in teaching, research, and service.

Currently, the School of Civil Engineering has about 520 B.Sc., 320 M.Sc. and 100 Ph.D. students. The graduate programs at this school offers advanced professional training, leading to the degrees of Master of Science (M.Sc.) and Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in the following fields:

1. Structural Engineering

2. Earthquake Engineering

3. Construction Management

4. Water Engineering

5. Environmental Engineering

6. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering

7. Transportation and Highway Engineering

8. Hydraulic Structures

9. Marine Structures

 

Education in the school prepares students for leadership in the profession of civil engineering. Presently, there are 50 full-time academic staff in the school, including 11 Professors, 13 Associate Professors, 25 Assistant Professors, and one Lecturers.

Several internationally recognized research projects on the applications of innovative methods in the fields of structural analysis and design, maintenance and repair of structures, design of hydraulic and marine structures, optimal design of water distribution and wastewater collection networks, water resources planning and management, geotechnical engineering, environmental systems analysis and advanced numerical modeling have been successfully carried out at this prestigious school.

Establishment of the Center of Excellence for Engineering and Management of Civil Infrastructures, approved by the Iran's Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, shows the strength of this school in conducting multi-disciplinary research activities.

The school laboratories for teaching and research are among the best in the nation, providing opportunities for practical experiences for all students. Furthermore, the large computer center of the school with its advanced facilities serves the academic staff and students.